His toned and muscular physique has been a significant factor in both his modelling and acting career and has contributed to his status as one of the most influential sex symbols in Bollywood.
John has a well-known fitness mantra, suggesting that his physique is a result of 3 key areas of focus:
- Good food;
- Good sleep; and
- A good workout routine.
We take a look at each area in more detail…
1. Healthy Diet
John works on the basis that your diet is more influential than exercise on achieving the body that you want. In fact, John believes the ratio is 60% diet to 40% exercise.
John also appreciates that everybody has to eat, but not everyone can always find the time to exercise, so focussing on your diet is even more important.
John is a pescetarian, which means that he doesn’t eat meat, and so gets his protein primarily from fish and egg whites, but also from whey shakes and protein bars when he needs to bulk up for a new movie role.
Some key considerations of John Abraham’s diet:
- John believes there is no excuse for skipping breakfast, and will always find the time to load up in the mornings. Generally, John will include eggs in his breakfast along with some form of fruit, for fructose.
- Carbs are ok, but not in excess. And if possible, try to eat carbs earlier rather than later. That way, they will give you energy that you can then use up through the day.
- Drinking plenty of water is important to support muscle growth, and especially before, during and after a workout. Drinking plenty of water also has the added benefit of flushing out impurities, improving your skin, and enhancing your concentration and energy levels.
- Avoid temptation by allowing yourself treats in moderation. You don’t need to completely cut out all ‘bad’ foods, but you do need to be careful not to overindulge! Allow yourself the occasional treat (not every day!) to help keep temptation at bay.
- Find a balance. There are no magic foods or diet plans that you should be looking for. Just eat a healthy, balanced diet in the right proportions and portion sizes, and you are doing ok.
2. Healthy Sleep
As muscle growth takes place during sleep, John recommends getting 8 hours sleep per night to let your body recover and grow following your training.
As a move star and celebrity, John recognises that your social life might get in the way of regularly getting 8 hours’ sleep.
But ultimately, not only will you cheat your body of the growth and recovery time it needs, you also risk ageing faster.
3. Healthy Workout
As with all good workout routines, John’s workouts vary in their nature. In addition to this, as John is often working out to get in shape for a particular role in one of his movies, the result he is trying to achieve will vary, and therefore his workout routine will be changed.
That said, there are some core key principles that John works to:
- Get your technique right. There are so many benefits: reduce risk of injury, better results, and more efficient workouts.
- Don’t miss leg day! It’s a running joke that bodybuilders the work over hate working on their legs, but it’s a must if you are to see maximum results elsewhere. John uses a great quote that might help you get the motivation for leg day: “Testosterone shoots bottom up”.
- Cut body fat to see those abs. John advises that everyone has ab muscles, and simply working on those muscles won’t result in a 6-pack if your body fat is too high. You will only get to see ab muscles when you reduce your body fat.
- Mix it up. You don’t have to be stuck in the gym every day, lifting weights. John often uses other types of exercise to help keep him in shape, even doing something as simple as taking the stairs instead of the lift.
Take a look at John in his home gym to see some of his personal workout tips:
John Abraham Biography
John Abraham was born on the 17th December 1972.
John studied at the Bombay Scottish School in Mumbai, and achieved a bachelor’s degree in economics from Jai Hind College.
He also received an MBA from the Mumbai Education Trust.
John originally started his career as a model, before switching to Bollywood and becoming one of the leading and best-known actors in the Indian movie industry.
His wife is Priya Runchal, an investment banker. The marriage celebration was held in Los Angeles, California, on the 3rd of January 2014.
John Abraham Fast Facts
- Height: 185cm (6’1”)
- Weight: 79 Kg (175lbs)
- Date of Birth (Age): 17th December 1972
- Religion: Agnostic atheist
- Occupation:Actor, Producer, Model
- Marital Status:Married
- Wife: Priya Runchal
- Marriage Location: Los Angeles, California, USA
- Parents:Firoza Irani and Abraham John
- Net Worth: Estimated $25m
John Abraham Movies List
|2004||Lakeer – Forbidden Lines|
|2006||Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna|
|2006||Taxi No. 9211|
|2007||Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute to Love|
|2007||Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal|
|2009||Luck by Chance|
|2010||Jhootha Hi Sahi|
|2011||7 Khoon Maaf|
|2011||Mere Brother Ki Dulhan|
|2013||I, Me, aur Main|
|2013||Shootout at Wadala|